sobota, 9. avgust 2008

My Top 10 movies of all time

I usually dont like posting Top 10 lists, because sometimes I forget about a movie and have to rearrange the whole list then. But since I have nothing to post about and I doubt that I have forgotten about a movie, here.....we.....GO!

10) Forrest Gump by Robert Zemeckis
Originally, I wanted to put Star Wars V as my #10, but then I remembered Forrest Gump.
Ive seen this movie many, many times and its always a joy to watch. Tom Hanks gives one of the best performances in film history.
The story starts with the mentally challenged boy named Forrest Gump who falls in love with his only friend Jenny. They are separated when Gump has to go fight in the Vietnam war, while Jenny becomes a drug addict.
A movie that will make you cry with every viewing

9) The Shining by Stanley Kubrick
I wont lie, I never read the book, but this movie is just amazing.
It tells the story of a writer, played by Jack Nicholson, watching over a hotel with his wife and son over the winter. He goes (even more) insane and goes on a killing rampage.
Again, its best not to know what the movie is about.
Now, some people might say that the book is better, because Jack Torrence isnt insane at the beginning, but I prefer seeing an already crazy person, go even more crazy. Its less cliche, in my opinion.

8) Memento by Christopher Nolan
Christopher Nolan is currently the director with the most potential. I see him becoming the new Kubrick. His main goal: to tell a good story and tell it good.
Memento is told backwards, which means that each scene will be followed by a scene that preceeded it. Confusing? Yes. Great way to tell a story? Yes.
This movie also has a great twist ending, meaning great rewatchability.

7) Ed Wood by Tim Burton
I wont lie, Tim Burton is one of my favourite directors ever. This movie prooves his greatness. I would consider this one of the best biopics ever, along with Amadeus. It should be shown to anyone who loves movies or would like to become a film director.
The charm of this movie is how Tim Burton managed to transform Ed Wood from a loser to a winner. Ed Woods movies were never meant to be taken seriously and Tim Burton knew that. They were fun little movies that Ed Wood made out of his love for film.
After Ive seen this movie, Ive grown a lot of respect for Ed Wood. I mean, you have to respect someone who fought in the war, while wearing a panties. :)

6) Aliens by James Cameron
A sequel to the critically acclaimed sci-fi horror movie Alien, this movie is one of the rare sequels that is actually on par with the original.
This movie is more of an action movie than a horror movie, but I like it that way. Cameron knew that the only way to successfully continue a great movie is to make it as different as possible.
This movie also has the best screen heroine ever, Ellen Ripley. Its this movie, where she really becomes a great character. Sigourney Weaver was nominated for Best Actress, which is a rare even in sci-fi movies.

5) Alien by Ridley Scott
In space, noone can hear you scream.
Probably one of the best taglines of all time, this movie will really make you scream. You know what scene I am talking about. And for those of you who dont, I wont spoil the surprise.
The less you know about this movie before you see it, the better.

4) Amadeus by Milos Forman
A biopic of the most famous composer ever, Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart, this movie may be long, but it is worth it.
Two of the actors in this movie were nominated for Best Actor, F. Murray Abraham as Salieri and Tom Hulce as the hyperactive Mozart. They were both great, but I prefer Tom Hulce, mainly because of his laugh, which film fans will never forget.
The plot is mostly simple. Italian composer Salieri looked up to young Mozart as a child, but his father refused him a career in music. Because of this, Salieri prayed to God that he could become a successful composer. Shortly after this, he father dies at the dinner table. After his fathers death, Salieri chooses to devote his life to music. He becomes the court composer to emperor Joseph II.
One day he meets Mozart, who is basically a party animal. He cant believe who Mozart actually is and is even more angry to find out that Mozart is better than him by a mile. He vows revenge to God for giving a man with no class greater talent in music.
A movie with great acting, great music and beautiful scenery, Amadeus is a movie that shouldnt be missed.

3) The Godfather by Francis Ford Coppola
The most loved movie of all time, The Godfather is a great mob movie. The late Marlon Brando is amazing as Vito Corleone, the Godfather to the Corleone family.
The ending is mind blowing. I am talking about the infamous montage near the end, where Michael Corleone gets rid of all his enemies. And lets not forget the closing shot of the movie. Michael Corleone has become a man that he swore he would never become.
2) 2001: A Space Odyssey by Stanley Kubrick
Before I watched this movie, I didnt think that it would become one of my favourites, but I really loved it.
The movies pacing is, some people might say, odd, but thats the charm of the movie, in my opinion.
And really, how can people not see what the point of this movie is?
Its about the evolution of man and the race between technology and men.
The second point is a little bit hard to figure out. I found it out by accident and Im glad I did.
If you havent seen it, go watch it now. By the way, watch it with a good sound system.

1) A Clockwork Orange by Stanley Kubrick
This movie has it all. Great plot, great acting, great pacing, great music, but my favourite part is the narrating. Morgan Freeman, eat your heart out.
I really like the moral of this movie. If we, the society, try to change the way a person behaves, then we destroy the persons soul.
Its a great moral and its given to you on a plate, so I dont know why some people say that it has no point.

Ni komentarjev: